Policy Adviser on Human Rights Issues – Temporary Position
The Permanent Mission of Norway in New York represents Norway at the United Nations and is located within walking distance of the UN headquarters in Manhattan. The Mission has 32 employees covering a broad set of areas in the UN such as development, peace and security, human rights, humanitarian and international law issues, elections, education, health and climate.
We are looking for a Norwegian-speaking (alternatively Swedish or Danish) policy advisor to support our human rights work for the period September 1st – December 31st 2021. As a fast-paced and inclusive working environment, we are looking for a team player that work strategically, prioritize well and are results-oriented.
Areas of responsibility may include (but not limited to):
- Assist in the human rights and humanitarian work related to the General Assembly as well as the UN Security Council.
- Follow and report on meetings, including representing Norway in negotiations in the General Assembly.
- Contribute to reporting on and covering other UN-related meetings.
- Assist in the planning and execution of human rights-related events, such as briefings and meetings.
- Higher education, preferably a college degree.
- International experience and a background in multilateral work. Knowledge of the United Nations is preferred.
- Excellent command of English is necessary.
- Working knowledge of Norwegian or a Scandinavian language is preferred.
- Full computer literacy with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Good organizational skills with a commitment to accuracy and punctuality.
- Ability to cope with high work pressure.
- Ability to solve problems and challenges at hand.
- Good communication and collaborative skills.
- Salary according to agreement.
- An inclusive, positive, and dynamic work environment, where all are engaged in day-to-day decision-making.
- Opportunity to engage with a broad network in the diplomatic and international community of New York.
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen, hold a Green Card or have a valid work permit. We will not sponsor a visa or work permit. We ask that you state your status in the US in the application.
Application deadline: August 6th.
This job is ideal for someone who is:
- Regular working hours are 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday. At times, the policy adviser will be expected to work additional hours including occasional weekend work. Daily working hours are to be agreed upon appointment.
- Applicants are expected to attach a CV/resume and cover letter.
- The Permanent Mission of Norway to the United Nations is committed to a policy of equal opportunities and to creating a diverse working environment, free from discrimination, where everyone is included and treated fairly, based on merit alone. We are an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, color, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or other category protected by law.
- People-oriented - enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible - enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented - would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- High stress tolerance - thrives in a high-pressure environment
For questions, please contact Consul Viggo Jørgensen email@example.com